Wednesday, August 24, 2011

wine wednesday: sassy chard!

I can drink wine again!
The fact excites and delights me, as I l.o.v.e wine.
Before I got pregnant I had purchased several bottles of wine that I wanted to taste and blog about...
so now I am finally getting around to that.

The first is...
 Winnefred (Cali, 2009)
A sassy Chardonnay with a kick!  {my description}
"Buttery approach with a bitter aftertaste." {Hubby's description}

I, of course, was attracted to the label - a pinup-like drawing of "Winnefred," wearing a polkadot skirt & sporting retro specs. Apparently she is the champion of a pizza-eating contest, for "wolfing down unprecedented amounts of pizza."
My kinda gal!
The label and description get an A+ in my book.


The taste?  Probably a B.  Good, solid chard.  I personally prefer drier wines - but if you like sweet and fruity, choose Winnefred!  

We drank this wine with a pear and gorgonzola salad and pasta.
However, the label, of course, highly recommended drinking Winnefred with pizza.  Any pizza.
So perhaps that was key.
So I drank it the next night as well.
With pizza.


Much better! 
The spice of the pizza evened out the citrusy kick of the wine.
Added bonus:  It had cork!


I always feel a slight tinge of disappointment 
when my bottle of wine has a twist-off cap. 
 Call me a snob traditionalist.
Am I alone?

love and vino,
g

1 comment:

  1. the pizza looks awesome! I made pizza last night too :) And I'm so with you on the cork. I like the little ritual of removing the cork from the bottle rather than merely unscrewing the lid. Just that small formality and makes the wine slightly more special. Even if it really isn't!

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments. So leave one. Or two. Or as many as you want.