Monday, February 27, 2012

no more XS

Since having my baby, I have suffered a severe 
style identity crisis.  
Before my pregnancy I worked a lot -- as a shoe store manager for years, and then several in an office.  My style was business chic:  tailored pants and button-down shirts from Express, mainly. Oh, and lots of really cute high heels.   My casual wardrobe consisted mainly of:  flared jeans and tight embellished tank tops in the summer,  and tight v-neck sweaters in the winter.  

Now, as a stay-at-home mama,  I have no use for any of the business clothing, rarely wear heels, and my post-baby figure does not warrant anything involving the word "tight."  Let me explain... 

The other day I was out with friends and I realized I felt uncomfortable.  Not because of the conversation, or because I had eaten too much...but because my darn sweater kept creeping up.   I kept reaching back to pull it down, even though my back was to the wall and no way anyone would see my unmentionables...but it still made me uncomfortable, and therefore not as able to focus as well as I could have on the conversation.

I think the key to looking good is feeling good inside...because it shows in your smile and your eyes.  I don't think I look good when my mind is saying, "Pull your sweater down so your undies don't show!"  and "I shouldn't have ate that ice cream because now my jeans feel like they are squashing my lower organs!"

Inspired by my gorgeous blog friend Sarah at Modern Country Style in this post I decided to clear out my closet.  One afternoon while baby napped, I purged any of my pretties that had these two letters inscribed on the tag: XS

I'm just not extra small, and haven't been for a while.  So why, oh why, have I held on {and even bought more of} this size?  I am a 30-year-old woman with a baby.  I'm simply not extra small.  On a good day I'm "small."  On most days I'm "medium."  Or as my husband coined:  "Smedium."

And I'm okay with that.  I look back at photos of myself when I really was "extra small" and I don't think I look my most beautiful.  I know I didn't "feel" my most beautiful.

So I'll take "Smedium" any day of the week.  Because I'm way more happy now.

 Goodbye pretty dresses that don't fit/aren't flattering anymore...
Except this one...because every girl needs a LBD.  And Hubby likes it:

I tried on everything I own, discarding what I didn't LOVE.  I ended up with a very empty closet.  Kind of like a clean slate.  The few garments I kept were only those that  I really thought were comfortable and flattering.

I'm not in any hurry to go out and buy new clothes.  Why?  Because five days a week I wear t-shirts and black sweatpants, like these:
When I do go shopping for some new threads, you can bet I will be more wise about my spending.  I will try on everything before purchasing and, as wishful as my thinking may be, I will not buy anything "extra small."

Plus, I want to try to figure out what my personal style is now.  It certainly has changed a lot in the past five years.   I only want to buy items that coincide with my style...whatever that is.  It will be fun shopping and figuring it out.  :)

Do you hold onto clothes that don't fit?  How would you describe your "personal style"?  How has it evolved over the years?
g

11 comments:

  1. Love this post! I have the stuffed closet problem as well, however bc I am a cheap girl mine is stuffed with sweaters, long sleeved t-shirts that I picked up for a few dollars that are old, too large, and out of shape. Plus, I don't know if you have this issue, but ever since I have had Aiden I am SUPER hot all the time! Wearing a sweater is like torture to me! I prob just need to get rid of them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED this post! I purged my closet recently, but need to go through it again. I know I could go through it multiple times, and keep getting rid of stuff.

    I went from black, black, black and fitted, to colors and flowly. :) Being a mom has actually made me more stylish? Is that possible?

    You may have just inspired me to go through my closet again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. story of my life! i have some weird thing where i can't get rid of clothes, i always think "well if i had a this and this to wear with it..." or "but what if my weight fluxtuates..." but it never does and i never wear it. i'm going through a full-house purge here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos to you for going through all your stuff and purging your closet. I think a lot of women have a hard time with that but I feel like we're happier when you clothes actually fit well vs. what size the tag says.

    Good luck with your shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally know what you mean! I recently had to give up and get rid of my size 25 (aka:0) jeans, as well as some 1's and 2's that were my old "fat pants", because I realized no matter how much weight I lose my hips will just never be that tiny again. But now I feel skinnier just wearing clothes that fit me right, rather than trying to squeeze into ones that are too small.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oolala sexy lbd! hot mama!

    i just did this same thing 2 weeks ago!! our bedroom was overflowing with clothes i never wear... so i purged a ton. stockings with holes in them, sweaters with lots of worn fuzzies, t-shirts with bleach stains, too-short tops from the days when it was "cool" to show part of your midriff... i have less clothes now, but it feels like i have more options 'cause i can actually SEE the items i wear on a consistent basis! :)

    i've always fallen victim to "trends" ...i love accessories, colors, and layers. inevitably it'll change as i get older, but i think my clothes will always fall in an artsy/girly category.

    good luck with your shopping!! let me know if you'd like a shopping buddy! :)

    {and if you're looking for a good home for some of those xs items, i'd be willing to take them off your hands, lol.} O:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the same spot, my husband did some laundry and just told me I am banned from wearing my tiny tube top again "as a mom of three" .. and when I realized I only wear it for the nice bra inside, I admitted he was right lol. I really need to purge, I think my current personal style is that I have way too many 'comfy clothes' that do absolutely nothing for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey gorgeous,

    I am SO glad you did this!! I'm sure you won't look back. It's a bit of a shock at first but I always feel so much better after a purge of things that I know don't look right!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am always so amazed and impressed at how honest your posts are. This was so interesting to read. It is really wonderful that you are so good with the transitions in your life [other than when your baby brother was born :-)] and I absolutely love Paul's contribution of smedium. So Sweet!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! I figure when I am writing about my life, I need to be honest, even if it is sometimes not flattering. :)

      Delete
  10. love this post as I feel like this often. I struggle with it as well but also I don't know how to be casual and I doubt anything I put in. I do business casual during the week so it's hard come the weekend to switch it up!

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments. So leave one. Or two. Or as many as you want.