- I used to really care what I look like. I still do - sometimes - like if Hubby and I are going out on a date or we are going to a special event. But in general I don't seem to have time or energy for that. I exit the house looking bedraggled half the time. Forgetting makeup, hair in a messy updo, wearing yoga pants and a spitup stained shirt, praying that my nursing bra is in place. I don't tan anymore - not even a spray tan (and who has time to apply self-tanner???) When I do put on makeup it is usually with one baby squirming on the floor and another running around my feet impatiently, so it ends up being a rushed, half-finished look. (Ever put eyeliner on one eye and forget about the other??? This girl has.) I still want to look good, and I am not at all saying that when you are a mama you just "let yourself go." Buuuut...it definitely takes a backseat to a million other things.
- I used to be extremely selfish. What I mean is: life was all about me. How was I feeling? Was I happy? Was I getting to do all the things I wanted? I won't lie - I pretty much thought the world revolved around me. Now my focus is on two little ones. Are they sleeping enough? Are they eating enough? Are they developing at a normal rate? Are they happy? Am I giving them enough attention? It is funny how your mindset totally changes when you have little ones.
- I used to live recklessly. Not that I am some rebel...but I didn't put a lot of thought into the results of my actions. In my 20's I made choices that could have ended up badly. I won't elaborate but I can look back on many moments and thank God that I came out okay after each one - whether it be mentally or physically. I could write some interesting stories. Now I worry about each thing I do. You can't be reckless with kiddos. Your actions affect them. They see it all. They hear it all. They need you. I worry every time I drive them anywhere. Every time they leave with their dada and I imagine how awful it would be if it was the very last time I saw them. I try to be adventurous, yet after each adventure I have a inner mini freak-out thinking about all the things that could have gone wrong on said adventure.
- I used to go to bed between 11 and midnight. Now I fall asleep on the couch at 9pm.
- I used to get annoyed at the mamas with the screaming children out and about. Now I am one.
- I used to work out to look good. Now I work out to be able to lift a carseat and a toddler at the same time. Okay, and to look good. And the endorphins. And so I can eat copious amounts of ice cream. Alright, I work out for a lot of reasons. But, first and foremost - mamas gotta be strong!
- I used to skip breakfast. Now that I have a little guy that needs a hearty breakfast I have been making hot breakfasts every morning. I thought back to my dad making us hot breakfasts every morning before school, and decided Hey, I can do that! I love it. The girl who used to get stressed out at the thought of scrambling eggs now slings out breakfast to kid and hubby like a short-order cook. I even eat some myself! Progress, people.
- I used to drink a normal amount of coffee. Now I drink coffee whenever I have time to make some - or pass a Starbucks. No joke.
How has motherhood changed you?