Tuesday, July 29, 2014

my first stitch fix : a review!

Now that it has been over a year since I had Finola, and my body is (for the most part) in the shape I'd like it to be, I have started to re-focus on my 'personal style.' 

Long ago, pre-Finola, I posted about this same issue (read here.)  Then, of course, I got preggo again, and I muddled through it fashion-wise, trying to look as cute as I could while waddling around with a seriously giant tummy.

Truth is, I love fashion.  I have scoured fashion magazines since I was old enough to read.  Starting with the classics : Seventeen, Teen, and YM.  (Luckily I have an older sister who had subscriptions to all of these!)

While we didn't have tons of cash to spend on clothing ("If you want extra clothes you must get a job!") my mama liked to takes us shopping in the fall and spring for new pieces, and sometimes a little in between.  We were mostly limited to our small-town mall, which had only a handful of options in the 80's and 90's : Deb, Maurices, KMart and JC Penney.  Sigh.

As soon as I turned sixteen I got a part-time job and yessir I spent way too much of my hard-earned paychecks on clothing.  Finally I could go to "real" malls and shop at "cool" stores like American Eagle and Express!   I shopped for clothing every chance/dollar I got.  I tried to follow the trends - sometimes looking cute, sometimes not-so-much.  But I loved to try.

During college I hit the jackpot and got a job at a shoe store in the Mall of America.  I still get a feeling of euphoria, completely intoxicating, when entering any mall - especially MOA, which I try to visit once each time I travel to Minnesota.  This job only increased my clothing addiction (and slowly growing credit card debt) because I justified my purchases by wanting to dress as stylishly and professionally as possible - and I had to have great clothes to go with my great shoes!

Now, I am married and on a budget.  There are no credit cards or reasons to dress professionally.  Most of my clothing I buy at Target or F21 or H&M...because it is the only way I can remain somewhat stylish and stay within my $20(ish)/week clothing budget.

I find, though, you can still be stylish and stick to a budget.  Even as a stay-at-home mama who dresses mostly casually!  (um, can you say "yoga pants"?)

But because I love clothes and want to sometimes get something out of the ordinary -- I decided to finally try Stitch Fix, a personal styling website that I have seen so many other bloggers use and post about.  I shied away from it for quite a while, thinking I would have to spend too much money to participate in such a thing...

but I was very wrong!

You set up your personal style profile and are matched with a stylist, who will send you items based on your profile, any fashion board you might have on Pinterest, and whatever else you communicate to her.

The whole thing is completely personalized - you choose price ranges, when your "Fix" is shipped to you, how often, and what you ultimately want to keep.  Anything included in your Fix that you don't love you can send back, free of charge, in the shipping bag they provide.

SO EASY...and so fun!

Now let's get to the good stuff...what I got in my very first Fix.

I actually really liked all five items I was sent.  I thought my stylist Emma did a lovely job sending clothes that could be items I would really like.

{disclaimer: I neither styled my hair or put on makeup for these photos...hence the frequent hidden face and appearance of fedora!}

Item #1 : Corinna Striped Heathered Dolman Top (by Market and Spruce)
I love the comfy, yet casual/sexy fit of this dolman sweater.  Plus, I am a sucker for anything in a heather gray.  This is an item I could wear a lot, and mix up with a lot of other pants/accessories I already have.  The price was a bit high for what I typically pay for a top...and I think maybe I could find the same thing at Target for much cheaper.  Super cute, but...sending back!
 Item #2 : Joshua Colored Ankle Jean (by Pink Martini)
If you know me you know this is pretty much my favorite color EVER.  Love me some aqua.  These pants were soft and definitely different than any other pair I own.  I have yet to buy any brightly colored denim, despite it being a popular trend.  I am more of a dark indigo-hued jeans kinda girl.  Why?  I have very short legs, with some curve and some runner's muscle...and they are not usually the part of my body I try to call a ton of attention to.  I actually like the shape of my legs, and I don't mind at all being petite...but I prefer to highlight other areas.  However,  I would have really considered these pants, except they don't fit me well in the butt and waist!  I definitely have some junk in the trunk, at least in comparison to my waist.  So it is simply hard to find pants that fit just right!  Other than that these might have been a keep...but I sadly have to send them back!

Item #3 : Elizabet Striped Maxi Dress (Renee C)
I honestly thought I would not keep this - since I have so many maxi dresses already.  But...I adore it. Fits perfectly, and is comfy and flattering.  I could honestly wear it so many different ways, dressed up or down, in any season, that I cannot even consider sending it back.  Versatility means I am keeping it! :D
 Item #4 : Camden Tiered Stone Pendant Necklace (by Bay to Baubles)
Such a pretty necklace!  I love the aqua and gold combo, and it is definitely different than anything I already own.  What holds me back on this one is the price...I never spend more than $20 on any piece of jewelry and this is twice that.  I would have to be completely in love to spend $48 on a necklace...and I only like this one.  Plus, I am scared Finola will rip it off my neck and break it.  I cannot risk that for the price.  Sending it back!

Item #5 : Alejandro Printed Double Spaghetti Strap Tank (by Ezra)
I wanted to love this cute boho top...I really did.  I love the print and the straps are unique/sexy for hot weather.  And it would be perfect with skinny jeans and in the fall under a cardi.  (or with shorts...but I don't wear shorts...unless I am running.)  The only issue I had was that I can't wear a bra with it -- even a strapless bra shows.  I usually LOVE an excuse not to have to wear a bra...but this top showed too much side-boob.  Dang it.  Sending back!

* * * * * * *
Okay, so even though I only could justify keeping one out of five of the items...I still had a fabulous experience with this -- and plan to do it again!   Get this mama another fix!

If anyone reading this has not tried Stitch Fix - get started by clicking here and using me as your referral (pretty please!) Get your FIX!

 Have so much fun with this!!!!

Linking up with other sweet mamas at A Whimsicle Life and...
”By

1 comment:

  1. You take the cutest pictures!! I love the head down with the hat! I'm definitely going to reconsider some of my styling during my Stitch Fix "shots." I also received the Market & Spruce top from Stitch Fix. I kept it and I love it! One of the most comfortable (plus good looking) shirts I own!

    Thanks for linking up with me! I'm posting another Stitch Fix this Friday with another link up :)

    JoAnn
    Whimsicle

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments. So leave one. Or two. Or as many as you want.